Take a look at these statistics from the CDC:
(Data are for the U.S.)
- Number of women ages 15-44 with impaired fecundity (impaired ability to get pregnant or carry a baby to term): 6.7 million
- Percent of women ages 15-44 with impaired fecundity: 10.9%
- Number of married women ages 15-44 that are infertile (unable to get pregnant after at least 12 consecutive months of unprotected sex with husband): 1.5 million
- Percent of married women ages 15-44 that are infertile: 6.0%
- Number of women ages 15-44 who have ever used infertility services: 7.4 million
Source: Key Statistics from the National Survey of Family Growth (data are for 2006-2010)
You are not alone in your journey!! Just because as a culture we are not open to talking about infertility does not mean it is not affecting large populations of women and couples. 7.4 million women have sought out help for infertility services. If you are trying but feel nervous to take the next step, to make that doctors appointment, gain courage from the 7.4 million women who also were afraid but asked for help. Do not assume you will automatically be told to do IVF or other high tech procedures. Only a very small percent ever need to go that far. Most issues can be addressed with a few simple tests (not great tests but simple) and often medications can solve the medical problem.
Most Recent ART Data
According to CDC’s 2012 preliminary ART Fertility Clinic Success Rates Report, 176,275* ART cycles were performed at 456 reporting clinics in the United States during 2012, resulting in 51,294 live births (deliveries of one or more living infants) and 65,179 live born infants. Although the use of ART is still relatively rare as compared to the potential demand, its use has doubled over the past decade. Today, over 1% of all infants born in the United States every year are conceived using ART.
Be courageous and take the next step! You can get the answers you deserve!!