Home » Tag Archives: Open Adoption

Tag Archives: Open Adoption

The Thursday Thinker: Adoption

Do you think that birth moms should be allowed to sign adoption papers BEFORE their baby is born?  Why or why not? -Cindy Read More »

The Truth about Trying Tuesday: Open Adoption

Here are some statistics on Open Adoption: A 2012 study from the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute titled “Openness in Adoption” reports that only 5 percent of today’s adoptions are closed; the remaining 95 percent are open or semi-open adoptions. The study also cites benefits for adopted children who have continued contact with and access to their birth parents after ... Read More »

The Truth about Trying Tuesdays: Open Adoption

Note:  Miracle Monday for this week will be posted later in the week. This is a small study but offers some statistics on Open Adoption: A study by Grotevant and McRoy, published in 1998, reported that 72 percent of adoptive parents were satisfied with their birth mothers and nearly all but one birth mother in the study were satisfied with their ... Read More »

The Thursday Thinker: International Adoption vs Domestic Adoption

If you decided to adopt, would you adopt internationally or try to find a birth mother in the U.S. and have a domestic adoption?  What are the pros and cons of each?   -Cindy Read More »

Daily Themes

Starting next month “Recipe for a Family” will have daily themes that address different issues with Adoption/Loss/Infertility.  Following will be the format: Miracle Mondays:  Faith-based support and success stories The Truth about Trying Tuesdays:  Facts about Adoption/Loss/Infertility While you Wait Wednesdays:  Weekly tips/activities to help deal with the waiting (2ww, waiting for “the call”, general waiting, dealing with disappointments) The Thursday Thinker:  A weekly ... Read More »

Open Adoption: Changing your Child’s Name

I went to pick-up my daughter from Girl Scouts yesterday and they had painted Valentine T-shirts  They were very cute and had hearts on them with their names painted on the front.  I looked around for my daughter’s and couldn’t find it.  Then I found one with her middle name on it: “Layla” (which is the first name her birth mom picked for her.)  She has been talking about ... Read More »

Books on Open Adoption

Here is a list of helpful books on Open Adoption.  Some are classics that have been revised and others are newer: 1.  The Open Adoption Experience – A Complete Guide for Adoptive and Birth Families by Lois Ruskai Melina 2.  Raising Adopted Children: Revised Edition by Lois Ruskai Melina 3.  Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew by Sherrie Eldridge 4.  ... Read More »

Open Adoption: Help While you Wait

For our open adoption, our strategy to find a connection with a birth mom included the following: 1.  be placed in the agencies “Magic Book of Waiting Parents” 2. tell everyone we know we were looking to adopt 3. walk around the mall late at night hoping some teen mom would randomly approach us and offer to make an adoption ... Read More »

Best of Open Adoption Blogs 2011

A listing of the best open adoption blogs is posted at the following: Best of Open Adoption Blogs 2011 My blog post about “Did I get the Call?” made the list (December 2011 Archives) and there are so many more heartwarming tales. -Cindy Read More »

The Birth Dog

When we considered doing domestic adoption there were a few things I really worried about.  What if we never got picked, what if the Birth Mom changed her mind, what if the Birth Father shows up later and wants the baby.  But what I couldn’t really wrap my brain around at the time was what it would look like 5 ... Read More »